The recipe for preparing gobi paratha is similar to making other stuffed parathas. The process of making dough, stuffing, and rolling is the same for all parathas, the only differentiation is making the mixture of stuffing ingredients. For preparing gobi paratha, cauliflower stuffing is required with some dry spice powders to add some spicy flavor in it. Green chilies and ginger are also added for extra flavor. If you do not want to make paratha spicy, remove the green chilies or chili powder from the recipe. It is usually taken in breakfast and it will be more delicious if it is served with raita or with plain yogurt. Cauliflower is a vegetable that has a high fiber and vitamin-B, that will be beneficial for providing phytonutrients and antioxidants that help to protect against several diseases. It also consists of fiber that will help lose weight and maintain proper digestion. Gobi paratha is mostly popular in northern India, especially in the Punjab region. It is usually taken with butter, pickle or curd. The ingredients required for preparing gobi Partha are given below:
For making paratha dough:
- Wheat flour (1 ½ cups)
- Oil (2 tbs)
- Water (more than ½ cup)
- Salt (as required)
For making paratha stuffing
- Cauliflower- 2 cups (finely chopped)
- Coriander powder (1tablespoon)
- Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala- ½ teaspoon
- Oil- 1 tablespoon ( it requires more for frying the parathas)
- Ginger- 1 tablespoon (paste or grated)
- Cumin seeds- ½ teaspoon
- Green chilli (finely chopped)
- Amchur powder- 1 teaspoon (dried mango powder)
- Coriander or cilantro leaves- 1 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
Procedure for making gobi paratha
- Firstly, choose a fresh cauliflower and take the head part of it and rinse it well. Then finely grate the cauliflower with the help of a grater. Check it properly for the big pieces of cauliflower, as it will break the paratha while rolling. Place a frying pan on a medium flame and heat oil and then add cumin seeds.
- After that, add ginger paste, chopped green chilli then mix it well and stir-fry for a few seconds. Then add the cauliflower stuffing over it and add a little amount of salt in it, and let it cook for a few minutes.
- After cooking it for a few minutes, add all the ingredients of dry spices, which is red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and amchur powder. Mix it well and again cook it for few minutes until it becomes dry.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, add chopped cilantro, and mix it properly. Keep aside for a few minutes and let it cool down.
- Make a dough by adding wheat flour, salt and oil, add little water, and start kneading. After that cover and leave it for few minutes. Make sure that the dough should be soft and smooth.
- The next process is to make a small round shaped ball by dividing it into six equal parts and flattens it between your palms. Then roll the dough in a rolling pin, and place the cauliflower stuffing in the center and cover it and flatten it to make a round stuffed ball.
- After making the round stuffed ball, place it in the rolling board and roll it gently to make a six-inch diameter circle.
- Heat the frying pan on a medium flame, place the paratha, and spread the oil and cook it for a few seconds. Flip it and follow the same procedure until the light brown spots appear.
- Remove the paratha from the frying pan, and repeat a similar process for other parathas. The hot delicious paratha is ready to be served with curd, raita, or pickles.
Instructions for making Gobi Paratha
- Take wheat flour, oil, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix it well with your fingertips.
- After that add a little amount of water, and start kneading to make dough. The dough should be soft and smooth so that it will be easy while rolling the paratha.
- After making dough cover it and leave it for at least 15 minutes.
- Take cauliflower (as required) and grate it finely, you can also use a food processor for the grating process. Choose a fresh cauliflower and rinse it properly.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium flame. Then add some cumin seeds.
- Once they broil, add ginger paste, chopped chilies, and fry it for few seconds.
- After that mix the grated cauliflower and add some salt. Cook it for few minutes.
- Then add all ingredients of dry spices and mix well. Cook it well until it dries.
- Lastly, remove it from the heat and add chopped cilantro.
You can also read- Lachha Paratha: Indian Layered Flatbread
Preparing gobi paratha
- Once again, knead the dough and divide it into six equal parts, make a round shape ball, and flatten it out.
- When the stuffing is cooled down, separate it into six equal portions.
- After that spread, some dry flour on a flatten dough ball and roll it in a rolling pin, make a round shape dough.
- Place one portion of gobi stuffing in the center then hold the borders of the flatten dough and pinch it and stick it properly. After that, flatten the stuffed dough using your hands.
- Again, spread the dry flour over the stuffed dough and roll it in a circular motion to make a six-inch diameter paratha.
- Turn on the gas and heat the frying pan on a medium flame, then place the stuffed paratha and apply a little amount of oil and fry it. It should be fried until the golden brown spots on both sides appear.
- After that, take the paratha from the frying pan, and repeat the similar procedure for the rest of the parathas.
Consuming one gobi paratha provides 218 calories. Gobi paratha is made up of two healthy ingredients, cauliflower, and whole-wheat flour. There are numerous benefits of cauliflower, as it is a good source of vitamins and fiber. The ingredients present in this vegetable are beneficial to strengthen the bones and improves the cardiovascular system. Gobi paratha is enriched with fiber that helps to lower the cholesterol levels. The nutrition present in the gobi paratha are as follows:
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Calories: 235 kcal
- Fiber: 7 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 9 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Sodium : 214 mg
- Potassium : 241 mg
- Cholesterol : 0mg